Current Time: February 19, 2018 05:21:30am Last Update: February 18, 2018 07:27:48am
Home|Forum|Conferences|Concepts|Research|TrueColour|Business Developemnt         
iWitness | Register | Login | Subscribe         

Life & Culture > Politics
We have nothing to do with social media images of under-age voters - INEC
Addthis Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Gmail
By Theo Adegoke
February 13, 2018 07:16:26am GMT      |      Views: 508
INEC

WorldStage Newsonline--- The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has asked the public to disregard the current videos and pictures in the social media platforms, showing underage persons thumb-printing ballot papers and voting in an election, as it has nothing to do with the agency.

Director, Voter Education and Publicity, INEC, Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi who disclosed this in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday said the images which had gone viral did not relate in any way to any election organised, conducted or superintended by the commission.

The director said the commission could not be held directly or vicariously liable for an exercise outside its legal purview.

“It should be pointed out here that local government elections are exclusively the responsibility of the respective State Electoral Commissions, who are in no way under the control and supervision of INEC.

“As far as the commission is concerned, they relate to a local government election conducted at the weekend, over which INEC has no legal control or responsibility whatsoever,” he stated.

Osaze-Uzzi restated the commitment of INEC to sanitising the electoral process of the country.

“The commission remains resolute in its commitment to sanitise the nation’s electoral process and deliver free, fair and credible elections,” he said.

The director said INEC was doing all it could to ensure a credible register of voters.

He said that in addition to running the Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS), the commission would employ its business process rules to weed unlawful entries.

He said INEC was aware of the challenges encountered in some quarters by prospective registrants in the ongoing nation-wide Continuous Voter Registration (CVR).

Osaze-Uzzi said steps had been taken to ameliorate the situation through the acquisition and deployment of new Direct Data Capture (DDC) machines for registration.

The director said the commission had also increased the number of registration centres in the affected areas.

He appealed to those who did not register in the previous registration exercises to do so now.

Addthis Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Gmail







Share |




ADVERTISEMENT



Related News
- February 14, 2018 11:11:53am GMT

- February 13, 2018 07:16:26am GMT

- February 5, 2018 12:31:32pm GMT

- February 4, 2018 08:38:17am GMT

- January 28, 2018 15:54:49pm GMT